Friday, August 7, 2009

Latest OB appt.

Since I'm so far behind on posting, I now have 2 OB appointments to report. On the 6th all went well. The baby's heartbeat was in the 140's, which has been pretty consistent. I finally asked her if there is anything I should do about my swollen feet and legs. She told me to get some compression socks and to wear them whenever I am walking around and doing household chores etc. I can take them off when I am resting and elevating my feet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 weeks


How your baby's growing:

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I now have to go every 2 weeks so they can more closely monitor the baby's progress and be sure all is well. On the 20th, when she measured my belly (which they have done the last several times) I finally asked what she was doing. She told me that they measure the uterus each week to be sure the baby is growing properly. At 32 weeks, my belly should measure 32 cm...which it did. They want to keep a close eye on it to make sure the baby doesn't get too big. And of course I got to hear the heartbeat again. That is such a precious moment. It was in the 140's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32 weeks


How your baby's growing:

By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.

No comments: